VCDS is excited to present Rent as part of our 2015-2016 season. If you are planning to audition please read through the complete instructions posted here.
Book, Music and Lyrics by Jonathan Larson
Directed and Choreographed by Shak Haq
Performance Dates: Thursday March 10, Friday March 11, and Saturday March 12
Performance Venue: Isabel Bader Theatre
AUDITION DATES, TIMES, & LOCATION*:
Wednesday November 18th in EMM 119 – By Appointment 8pm to 10pm // Drop-in 11pm to 12am
Thursday November 19th in Vic Chapel – By Appointment 8pm to 10pm // Drop-in 11pm to 12am
Friday November 20th in the Goldring Music Room – By Appointment 3pm to 5pm // Drop-in 5pm to 6pm
Saturday November 21st in the Goldring Music Room – By Appointment 12pm to 2pm // Drop-in 2pm to 4pm
DANCE CALL Saturday November 21st in the Goldring Music Room – 10am to 12pm
- Audition slots can be BOOKED via our Doodle Poll
- The last hour of each day will be set aside for DROP-IN auditions and auditionees will be seen in the order in which they sign up. The sign-up sheet will be available at the earliest start time of each audition day.
CALLBACKS: SUN NOV 22 (by invite only)
TO BOOK AN AUDITION:
1) Fill out our online AUDITION FORM**: http://goo.gl/forms/pBMEa6z4b2
**There will be printed forms available at the audition, but this will save time for you and paper for us! This option is available for both booked auditions and drop-in auditions.
2) Book an AUDITION SLOT using our private Doodle Poll [UPDATE ALL AUDITIONS SLOTS ARE CURRENTLY CLAIMED]***:
***If you are planning to come in during drop in times, you do not need to do this. If you cannot make any of the listed slots, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to accommodate you.
1) If you are auditioning for MARK, ROGER, MIMI, COLLINS, ANGEL, MAUREEN, JOANNE:
- Please prepare TWO (2) contrasting songs from the rock/pop/musical theatre canon. ONE (1) song choice may be from RENT. Song suggestions by character are listed in the SONG LIST section below. Songs will be performed a capella (no accompaniment).
2) If you are auditioning to be part of the ENSEMBLE (acting and/or singing):
- Please prepare ONE (1) song from any genre and/or please prepare a short monologue or performance piece (it does not need to be memorized and it can be from any genre of theatre). Songs will be performed a capella (no accompaniment).
3) If you are auditioning to be part of the FEATURED DANCE CHORUS:
- We would like to invite you to the DANCE CALL on SAT NOV 21st from 10 am-12 pm. Please e-mail us at email@example.com to confirm your attendance or arrange an alternate time.
ABOUT THE SHOW:
RENT is a pop/rock musical loosely based on Puccini’s opera La Bohème. Set in New York City’s East Village in the 1990s, it follows a group of artists from varying disciplines dealing with their socio-economic status (or lack thereof), their vices, and each other. Meanwhile, the HIV/AIDS crisis is looming over NYC and brings the group closer as they join the battle.
RENT officially opened on Broadway on January 25, 1996 and won a Pulitzer Prize. The original Broadway production received a Tony Award for Best Musical. After grossing over $280 million dollars at the box office, Rent closed on Broadway on September 7, 2008 after a 12-year run, (5,123 performances), making it the tenth-longest running show on Broadway.
The VCDS production of RENT promises to remain true to the inherent sentiments of the original production, while putting into context the historical, sociological, political, cultural, and artistic movements of the time. There will also be an emphasis on “the people of New York City” through the HUMANS OF NEW YORK (our acting and vocal ensemble). Traditionally, RENT is not a musical with a heavy dance component, however, through our CORPS DE NEW YORK (our featured dance chorus) we will showcase the various styles of dance that were developing alongside other artistic movements of the period.
RENT CHARACTER BREAKDOWN:
*Please note this production is being cast gender-blind and ethnically-blind.
MARK – A filmmaker. The narrator of the show. Roger’s roommate. Maureen’s ex.
ROGER – A musician and former lead singer/guitarist. A recovering drug addict. Currently living with HIV.
MIMI – An exotic dancer dealing with addiction to various narcotics. Neighbour to Roger and Mark. Currently living with HIV.
COLLINS – An anarchist and philosophy professor currently living with AIDS.
ANGEL – A street percussionist currently living with AIDS.
MAUREEN – A performance artist.
JOANNE – A public interest lawyer.
If you are auditioning for one of the above roles, here are our suggestions for what to sing at your audition. If you are auditioning for multiple roles pick a song with which you are most comfortable.
MARK – “Rent”, “La Vie Boheme”, “Living in America”, “Seasons of Love”
ROGER – “One Song Glory”, “Another Day”, “Your Eyes”, “Seasons of Love”
MIMI – “Out Tonight”, “Another Day”, “Without You”, “Seasons of Love”
COLLINS – “I’ll Cover You (Reprise)”, “Santa Fe”, “Seasons of Love”
ANGEL – “I’ll Cover You (Reprise)”, “I’ll Cover You”, “Seasons of Love”
MAUREEN – “Take Me or Leave Me”, “Over the Moon”, “Seasons of Love”
JOANNE – “Will I?”, “Take Me or Leave Me”, “Seasons of Love”
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RENT is presented by special arrangement with Music Theatre International.